I was born and raised in Galveston, Texas. When I was just 4 1/2 months old my mother discovered a tumor about the size of a marble in my right thigh which was a fatty sarcoma. I had 2 surgeries and numerous radiation treatments which caused my right leg not to grow properly. Therefore, I had to wear a built up shoe.
After graduating from high school I attended North Texas State college in Denton, Texas. I was a music major and met Dean while playing in the band. He played tuba and I played French horn. We began dating and dated until I graduated in 1958. Dean was serving in the Korean conflict and was 2 years behind me. I started teaching school in Kingsville, Texas. The following summer I began attending BYU to get my master's degree. My last summer, just before graduating, I fell in the bathroom in Helaman Halls and broke my leg. I had always been told that if I ever broke it, it would have to be amputated. My advisor came to the hospital and gave me the most beautiful blessing. He promised happiness in my life in the years to comes. My professors came to the hospital to give me my oral exam making it possible for me to graduate. I must admit before receiving that blessing I actually thought my life was over. Instead it was just beginning. BYU provided a small airplane which flew me back to Galveston where my leg was amputated. I was 25 years old at the time.
A few days after coming home from the hospital the phone rang early one morning. The caller said his name was Dean. I asked, "Dean who?" He said, "How many Dean's do you know?" We began dating again and 4 months later on December 24 we were married in the LaMarque Chapel and 2 weeks later we were sealed in the Mesa Temple.
In 1965 we adopted our first son, Barry. We thought he was the most beautiful baby in the world. And 6 1/2 years later our miracle baby, Stan was born. Another of my prayers had been answered. I had been told I would never have children and here my miracle had arrived after many months in bed. We now have 5 granddaughters.
I went on to teach school for 20 years. And then I tutored in my home 10 more years. One Sunday in Relief Society we were challenged to write down something we really wished for. I loved teaching school, but I also wanted to serve in the church. I wrote that I wanted to be able to stop teaching and serve my Heavenly Father in any way I could. Dean had also been teaching and was offered a job at Phillips Chemical Company making it possible for me to stop teaching. Soon after I retired, I was called to be the Relief Society President and served in Relief Society numerous times. I loved my callings and pray that I fulfilled them as Heavenly Father would want.
Now I am facing another health challenge. In 2002 I once again had Sarcoma but this time in my abdomen and fortunately it has not recurred in the past 10 years. I was once again burned with radiation making it impossible to wear my prosthesis and I continue to be in lots of pain.
My calling now is a visiting teaching supervisor. I pray I will be able to fulfill my calling to the very best of my ability.
This coming Christmas Eve, Dean and I will celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. I would personally like to thank Dean for all the many things he does for me on a daily basis. I completely depend on him for everything, and he is always there to help me.
I am so grateful for all my many friends in the Katy 3rd Ward and for all the kind things you do for Dean and me.

No comments:
Post a Comment